Friday, December 2, 2011

A Justin Bieber Moment

A few months ago I noticed a trend on Twitter. Everyone had something to say about the movie Never Say Never. I didn't know anything about the movie, except it was getting a lot of hype so I added it to my Netflix que.

Flash forward a few months and the DVD arrived in my mailbox. A few days later I watched it and then I realized it was basically an autobiography of this kid named Justin Bieber. 

Let me make a side note here: I am one of those freaks of nature who LOVES the radio. If it wasn't for the radio I don't know who would tell me what kind of music I am supposed to like. Basically, I unashamedly love pop music.

That being said, we can go back to Never Say Never. Once I figured out Justin Bieber was some pop singer, I figured that at any moment in the movie I would hear one of his songs, the lightbulb would go off, and I would know exactly who he was. Unfortunately, I got to the end of the movie, the credits rolled, and still I had no idea who this kid was, but I did know I really liked him. He is like the kind of kid who would be best friends with my brother and when I go back to Florida for Christmas he would be standing in the kitchen eating out of my parent's refrigerator. This Justin kid is so adorable and somehow BFF with Usher. No wonder he is so popular. But more importantly, how in the world did I, a lover of everything pop culture, manage to never even hear of a kid who is selling out Madison Square Garden? Riddle me that one Batman. 

You can imagine the shocked looks I received when I went to work the next day and said, "Hey, has anyone heard of a kid named Justin Bieber?" Yeah, apparently he is kind of a big deal and everyone has not only heard of him, but know all the words to at least two of his songs. Go figure.

Flash forward again to Wednesday when Netflix delivered Water for Elephants (or as my brother would have said in preschool, "Water for Efefants"). Spoiler Alert: If you've seen the movie Titanic, trade the cruise line for a circus train and you pretty much have the movie Water for Elephants. For real, it's the same movie. Anyway, despite the frustration in lack of new plot lines, I enjoyed the movie, but more importantly, I was really impressed with the lead actor. I had never seen him before, but I really liked him almost immediately. He was really charming and cute and I had a feeling he might just be the next big thing. Water for Elephants could easily do for this guy what Titanic did for Leo - I'll never let go Jack! After Water for Elephants was over, I even waited for the credits so I could find out the guy's name. After the credits and a look through the extra features, I went into the living room to talk to my roommate about my discovery.

Me: "Hey, have you seen Water for Elephants?"
Katie: "Yeah, I thought it was pretty good."
Me: "Didn't you think it was a lot like another movie you've seen?"
Katie: "I don't think so. Are you sure I've seen whatever movie you're referring to?"
Me: "Umm...yeah, it pretty much defined my 6th grade year. You didn't notice that it's the exact same movie as Titanic?"
Katie: "No, that never crossed my mind."
Me: "Hmm....well, it's exactly the same. Anyway, I really liked the main guy in Water for Elephants. I've never seen him before, but I bet he will probably start to be in a lot more movies."
Katie: turns around and just stares at me - after a two minute pause - "Are you kidding? Are you talking about Robert Pattinson?"
Me: "Yeah, that's his name! I watched the credits to find out who he is."
Katie: more silent starring - "Yeah, he is kind of a sensation right now. He is the main guy in Twilight and he was in Harry Potter."
Me: "Is this another Justin Bieber moment?"
Katie: "Umm...yeah."


No comments:

Post a Comment