Wednesday, June 6, 2012

More Gifts

What do you get the parents who already have everything? This is the question I ask myself every Christmas, Birthday, Mother's Day and Father's Day. My dad is nearly impossible to shop for. If he wants something, he usually just goes out and gets it; and if he wants it but doesn't have it yet, it's usually because he is still researching the heck out of it to make sure it is the best in its class.

I thought for sure that no one could be more difficult to shop for than my parents. That was, until I was face to face with the question, What do you get the parents who have nothing?

A few of my friends have met the children they sponsor and have been so gracious to offer me all of their love, support and words of wisdom as I head to Ghana, Africa. One of my sweet friends mentioned that she wished she had brought gifts for her child's family. I do not know much about Eugene's family. He has never mentioned any siblings or his father. However, he does mention his mother and she has been in a few photos that were sent to me. I really wanted to bring a few special items just for her and the family. Plus, if I bring the practical items as gifts for Eugene's mother, then that just leaves more room for toys for Eugene.

When I went to the Christian bookstore to get a Bible for Eugene, I stumbled upon a promotion to help bring Bibles to Ghana. I know, what are the chances? You could donate $5 and a Bible would be sent to Ghana, Africa on your behalf, or you could purchase a Bible like this one and part of the proceeds would go to the cause. I figured I would go ahead and purchase this promotional Bible and take it to Ghana myself. Seriously, what are the chances? I had no choice but to purchase it as a gift for Eugene's mother. 

Kitchen stuff - don't worry, the plates and cups are plastic. Thank you Target for never failing me. Your stuff is the cutest. 

Because the only things I know about Eugene's mother are that she has a home business and she is wearing white in the two photos I have of her, I decided to stick with neutral colors for most of the items I purchased for her. Even the parents who have everything can use extra kitchen towels and cloths. The sheet was a suggestion from a trip guide sent to me by Compassion. 

toiletries and a fun makeup/multi purpose bag

This tote was one of my proudest finds. I got a great deal on it at the Columbia outlet store. It is super durable and a really nice color. Plus, everything fits inside perfectly. I hope she likes red!

So to all the mom's out there - the ones who have everything, the ones who feel like they have nothing, and the ones who know they have just enough - what do you think? Did I do ok? 

No comments:

Post a Comment