Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Circle's Round and Has No End, That's How Long I Want to be Your Friend


I am so blessed. Just a few months after I moved to Colorado Springs, one of my best friends from college, Kristine moved to Denver with her husband Blake. We are learning there are no friends like college friends. Kristine and I have some great memories and we want to make plenty more, so every few months one of us makes the hour drive and we spend the day together.

This time Kristine came to Colorado Springs to see my new house and go for a hike. We hiked the Punch Bowls. It's a hike I've wanted to do for a while. The trail is on Navigator property and as an employee, one of the perks is that I get to hike the trails any time my heart feels the urge. Non-employees have to make reservations and hope the limited spots aren't already filled. Although it is comforting to run into a person on the trail every so often, nothing ruins a great hike like loud families, ringing cell phones, or constantly tripping over fellow hikers. When it comes to trails, I am all about exclusivity.
We finally made it up to the punch bowls, but it was just a little too cold to jump in. Plus, neither of us were too keen on the idea of hiking down soaking wet. Maybe another day.

After our hike, Kristine and I went to Rudy's BBQ. Kristine and I were first introduced to Rudy's in Lubbock. We were frequent customers for post church, Sunday lunch. I was ecstatic when a Rudy's opened in Colorado Springs. There wasn't a more perfect place for us to enjoy real Texas BBQ and sweet tea on a scenic patio.

My one big complaint about the Punch Bowls is that there aren't a lot of trail markings, as in there are NO trail markings. That being said, when Kristine and I made the hike from the waterfall to the punch bowls, we kept going straight up the side of the mountain instead of veering left to follow the stream. The view was awesome, but all the loose gravel and rocks made getting down a bit tricky. After a few big falls we made it down the mountain and back onto the right trail, but three days later, my right leg still makes me look like an abused wife.

Scrapes and bruises aside, it was a perfect day with a great friend. I can't wait to see what adventures lay ahead for me and Kristine. I am so blessed to have her as a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment