Thursday, July 28, 2011

He Said Yes!

Yesterday I was checking my email and ran across this courtesy of the MapMyRUN app on my phone.
I don't know what happened, but as soon as I saw Disney I started clicking. One thing led to the next and before I knew it, I was looking at dates for the Disney Half Marathon. I've been training for my upcoming 5k for all of a week and a half. I have no business even looking at a website for a half marathon. How did I get here?

But...the more I read the more perfect the idea sounded. I would already be in Central Florida for Christmas and could easily stay until race day (January 7). My 5k is in September which would put me in the perfect condition to start training for a half marathon immediately following. Plus, the race is at Disney World...great weather, flat as can be, and plenty of oxygen to go around. Seriously, I don't know what came over me, but the next thing I knew I was Google searching running plans.

On the way home from work I called my brother Sam. I started telling him about my training for the 5k, the run at Disney, and half way through my spiel he interrupted me and said, "Are you calling to ask me to run with you?" I told him I was getting to that part and he promptly answered with a resounding and definitive "Hell no!"

Ok, so no dice with Sam. Now on to J.J. who conveniently was sitting right next to Sam when I called. All he could do was laugh. I had no prayer of convincing J.J. this was a good idea. Dad pretty much gave me the same reaction mixed with some excuse about bad knees and being old. All three of them told me I needed to wait until Josh got home and talk to him. The family consensus was he was my best bet.

Desperate times call for...a phone call to Mom. There was no laughing or cursing with Mom, just a flat out no. She also suggested I call Josh.

I anxiously counted down the hours until I knew Josh would be home. I called him and started down the same line of logic I tried with Sam. To my complete shock, Josh could not say yes fast enough. He was so on board. He started asking me all kinds of questions and wanted to start training right away. He could not have been more excited. No convincing needed.

Josh and I both decided to think about it over the weekend and then call each other on Sunday or Monday after we had time to consider the huge commitment this would take.

Today Josh sent me a text to let me know he ran five miles.

It looks like we just might be doing a half marathon....

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh I'm so excited for you!! What training plan are you going to use??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I hope you do it, I'll be running the half on saturday and then the full on sunday for the Goofy Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a running plan yet. Any suggestions? I'm still in the middle of my 5k running plan. Thankfully the half isn't until January.

    That is SO impressive xcar!

    ReplyDelete