Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Very Biased Book Review


Since I drove across town like a crazy person to get it, I figured I should probably go ahead and actually read Timmy's book. After the whole book signing (or lack there of) fiasco, I have to admit I started the book with a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. Plus, let's just be real for a minute. Athletes don't always make the best authors. Have you seen post-game interviews with football players? Not always the most...umm...maybe ESPN could look into subtitles.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised with Through My Eyes. I really enjoyed it, truly. In fact, it's settled. I'm marrying him.

The book really did help me get a whole new perspective on Tim as an athlete and a person, which leads me to...


Through My Eyes SUPERLATIVES

BEST LITERARY MOMENT
Every chapter title is immediately followed by a Bible verse. Chapter 18 is titled A Promise Fulfilled which is in reference to Tim's infamous press conference promise to work harder than any other player following the Mississippi State loss. However, the verse following the title is John 3:16. Think about it. Nicely done.

WORST LITERARY MOMENT
This book reads more like a blog than anything else. Some of the thoughts seem a little misplaced. Although I love the random stories mixed throughout the book, it doesn't help to create a lot of chapter or theme development. Like I said before though, this guy wins his awards on the field. I'm sure he didn't write the book with the expectation of a Pulitzer to put next to his Heisman.

BIGGEST BAD A MOMENT
Tim's had a lot of bad a moments over the years.
However, none seemed to top the Kentucky game of 2009 where Tim suffered a concussion. What I did not know about the game however, is that he was playing with Swine Flu. In fact, he would run off the field between plays to have fluids pumped into him via IV. Are you kidding me?

STRONGEST PERSONAL CONNECTION
Tim started as QB1 his sophomore year at Nease High School in Jacksonville, Fla. That year wasn't the best for his team. In fact, according to the book, six of their away games were homecoming games. Wait a minute...my high school played Nease for our homecoming game when I was a senior. That would mean...I saw Tim play in high school. My high school won, but I wish I had paid a little bit closer attention to that visiting team's QB.

MOST ANNOYING
I realize you have to do something to make the autobiography of a 23 year old stretch 256 pages, but was it totally necessary to highlight every single game he has played in for the last five years right down to the play call? Any college football fan watched these games live. I already know who won and how it all went down. Even for this football fanatic, sometimes the play-by-play got to be a bit much.

MOST RANDOM FACT
Tim's favorite movie is Braveheart. I was a little surprised it wasn't Rudy.

MOST SHOCKING
The mysterious Angel Gonzalez is mentioned in the Acknowledgement right after Tim's family members and BEFORE Coach Meyer. Apparently Angel came up with the name for the book...big woop. Who helped you get two national title rings and a Heisman, Tim? For real, how did this guy...
beat this guy?

FUNNIEST MOMENT
There were a lot of times I laughed out loud reading this book. I wasn't expecting Timmy to be so funny, and even sarcastic. However, by far the best was a description of the Tebow family in NYC for the Heisman ceremony. There they are, sitting around a table in a nice restaurant and missionary father Tebow asks his Jacksonville Jaguars player, son-in-law to pray for the meal. Why? Oh, because their family likes to pick the person who would be most uncomfortable praying in a public setting, ask them to pray, and then laugh at how awkward the whole thing is. Thank you Tebow family. I was laughing about this for days.

BIGGEST VALIDATION
There is just no redeeming quality to LSU fans. No other fans find it appropriate to publicize an opposing quarterback's cell phone number so his voicemail can be constantly full of threatening and explicit messages. No other fans are able to sleep at night after verbally harassing Pam Tebow. LSU fans are straight up classless.

BEST QUOTE
The Tebow's were a baseball family before they were a football family and Tim could have gone pro in baseball right out of high school. His Dad spent a lot of time with him working on his hitting and throwing. Very touching...until we get to this line.

"Apparently, some people have even commented of late on that throwing motion.
Dad's fault."

BEST USE OF THE "GOD CARD"
I was nervous about what I refer to as the "God thing." It is no secret the Tebow's are a Christian family, but then again isn't Jessica Simpson's Dad a pastor, and wasn't Katie Perry a Christian artist before she kissed a girl and liked it? Let's be real, there are a million college, pro, and even high school athletes who do things like this after a big play, thank God after a big win, and then get arrested for beating their baby's momma after a night of too much partying.
I'm sure this is just because I'm a cynic, but sometimes I watch the Tebow family and can't help but think, "Are these people for real?"

I was interested to see how the book would address Tim's faith. Would they talk about God but not mention Jesus? Would they talk about Jesus but in the most watered down way possible as to not offend anyone? Would they throw down the "God card" in the middle of a chapter and make it super awkward like they do in most Christian movies?

The answer to all of these is NO! I would say this was just as much a Christian book as a sports book. You can't read three sentences without Tim mentioning the Lord. The crazy part is, it feels so natural and so genuine. Reading this book honestly feels like any other night that I'm sitting around with my small group talking about what the Lord is doing in our lives. Tim did not waste one opportunity to talk about his personal relationship with Jesus and all the while giving the Lord every bit of credit for his accomplishments. For the record, I truly believe this family is the real deal.

BIGGEST CHALLENGE FOR OUR FUTURE RELATIONSHIP
I, like the rest of the world, have seen Tim cry.
Playing football with your friends on Thanksgiving is "just a game." Dedicating years of your life to championship games and then loosing, somewhere in there it becomes more than a game. I get that. I'm ok with the shedding of a few tears after a tough loss.

However, after finishing the book, I have some big concerns for me and Tim's future together. Timmy is a full fledged crier. He knows it too. I mean he cries all the time. I am not a crier and I get pretty awkward around people who are. I just don't know how to handle the tears. Hopefully after 23 years of crying, the family can give me some pointers.

THE BEST PART
We get to see a lot more of this guy in just a few weeks. The lockout was lifted and rumor has it Kyle Orton is packing for Miami. It's Tebow Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment