Thursday, October 27, 2011

Where the Magic Happens

They always say that on MTV Cribs when they get to the master bedroom. I know what is implied by this statement, but unless you are Hugh Hefner, I'm not quite sure what's so "magical." You know what's "magical?" The fact that high schoolers get it on in the bathroom without vomiting or getting caught. That is magic.

Anyway, quite a few months ago I painted my master bedroom. It's still the room I am the most proud of in my house, probably because it's the only one that is actually finished, minus replacing the ceiling fan, which is purchased but still sitting in an unopened box in my garage. I gave my parents the guided tour via iPhone FaceTime months ago, so I guess that's why I wasn't in a huge hurry to post the pictures.

Unfortunately I only have one picture of the room on move-in day and it isn't very good.

Just so you have a better idea, this was the color of the entire room before I painted. No offense to the color yellow, after all, my kitchen is yellow, but my bedroom is just not the place for it.

The first order of business was removing the horrible TV stand that was screwed into the wall. You may remember that fiasco from a former blog entry

Once the stand and screws were removed and the hole was patched, it was time to paint. I wanted to live on the edge a little with the decor in the rest of the house, but my bedroom is like my safe place. It needs to stay cool and tranquil, and above all, remind me of the beach. What color can bring me all of these things? Tan! 

When my roommate and I were renting the townhouse, I went a little crazy and painted an accent wall in my bedroom. I know this isn't crazy for most, but for me it was like dying my hair pint and getting an eyebrow ring. I actually liked the accent wall, so I decided to do the same thing in the new house. What color goes perfectly with tan and will complete the beach scene? Blue of course! 

My roommate also had this great idea to paint my entry way into my bedroom the accent color instead of tan. I have to hand it to her, the idea was genius. The entry way looks awesome in blue and it really added a unique touch to the paint job.

I've never been a fan of curtains. I don't know what it is, but my whole life I've been so happy with just plain white blinds. However, I think something inside me finally snapped, because after a few weeks of looking at those plain blinds above my bed, I knew something had to be done. It just looked terrible. A $15 (on sale) valance from JC Penny's and this curtain thing from Wal-Mart did the trick. It's a window treatment that is not really curtains. Perfect. Plus, it frames the bed so nicely you pretty much forget I don't own (and have never owned) a headboard. 

After the walls were painted I gave the trim and doors a fresh coat of white paint. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. It was like a brand new room.

The closet in my room is pretty big, especially for an older home, but the closet doors were terrible. It was like looking at a wall of wood. Unfortunately I forgot to get a before picture, but you can at least tell from this picture what the closet doors looked like after I removed them.

The doors were ugly, but they were in good shape so it seemed pretty pointless to buy new ones. Plus I had an entire gallon of white paint. So I painted the doors white and bought some silver knobs. 


That's it, my new bedroom. Once I install a new ceiling fan this room will be 100% completely finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment