Monday, November 7, 2011

Turtle Power

Let me be upfront and honest about the sole reason for this blog post - to show off my Halloween costume.

I don't typically do Halloween. I'm really into friends and parties and candy, but I'm just not into dressing up. Costumes are so uncomfortable. They look cool for a while, until you decide to sit down or walk more than a few feet. Plus what if you have to stop for gas or run a quick errand? That "awesome" costume you spent weeks putting together seems like pure genius until you actually have to walk outside with it on.

Anyway, at my Dirty Girl Mud Run I saw this girl with an awesome Ninja Turtle costume and I knew right then I wanted to be Donatello for Halloween. When I was little I LOVED the Ninja Turtles and Donatello was my favorite, first of all because he sported the giant "D" which was conveniently the first letter of my name and second he was the purple one, so that made me an instant fan.

Now that the hardest part (figuring out what to be) was out of the way, it was time to actually make my costume. First I had to fight every urge in my body to NOT put on my Tim Tebow jersey and a giant fake diamond ring on a certain finger on my left hand and say I was Timmy's wife. Make no mistake, that would have been a totally acceptable costume and one I am keeping on reserve for next year.

Second, I spray painted one of those pans you roast a turkey in - does that have an official name? Once I had my green half shell, I poked some holes and used some string so I could wear it as a backpack of sorts. Then I cut a circle in a piece of paper, painted it silver, and drew a big letter "D" in the center. I then took my homemade belt buckle and taped it to one of my thick belts. Finally I threw on spandex, black running shorts, a green shirt, and a purple headband. Unfortunately I couldn't find a giant stick.

I went to a costume Bunco night a few days before Halloween, so thankfully I got to wear my sweet costume twice! This is me and my friend Megan. She is an "owl." I know, just let her have it...

Next up was Halloween at the farm. My friends the Clark's threw a giant party in their barn. They had a little haunted maze and plenty of food and candy. The adults all put their cars in a circle, decorated their trunks, and gave out candy to all the kids. We were supposed to have games for the kids at each car, but I just don't believe in making kids work for candy on Halloween, or ever. I mean they are already dressed in these crazy costumes, and it's Colorado so they are running around in literally 30 degree weather. In my mind, they have more than earned a fun size candy bar.
Me with Mandy (Princess Leia to go with her family's Star Wars theme) and Kaci (who just grabbed camo from her husband's half of the closet). This time next year Kaci will have a little baby GIRL!

Me with the party's host Kacy Clark

I'm sad I didn't get any pictures with my little friends, meaning the kiddos. They had some pretty impressive costumes this year. Plus, if you're going to buy candy anyway, it's kind of nice to get to hand it out to kids I actually like instead of the random ones that come to my door. I see Halloweens at the farm becoming a tradition among my group of friends and I'm pretty ok with that.

Happy Halloween friends! 
Turtle in a half shell...TURTLE POWER! 

1 comment:

  1. love it! I was a ninja turtle a few years ago, it's an awesome awesome costume, yours is far better than mine ended up!

    ReplyDelete