Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dirty Girl

That was the name of my race back in September. For real - the Dirty Girl Mud Run. I was waiting for more pictures before I finally blogged about it. I didn't think it would be almost two months later, but better late than never, right?

A group of women from church decided that since the guys did a mud race last summer, we should do one together. I'm always up for stuff like this so it took very little convincing. I started training for this thing about 10 weeks in advance. We did the race as a team and although I don't mind going slower for team other members, I wanted to make sure it wasn't me who was holding everyone up. Thus, that is how the running began. Basically, the Dirty Girl was the beginning of the story of how I started training for a half marathon.


I volunteered to take charge of the event for our team - team Muddy Buddies. This included planning a team practice. The original idea was for us to meet at a local park and exercise and run together the week before the race. Well, it rained that night so we met at Village Inn for pie instead. I know, coach of the year. Honestly, I partially believed everyone was training on their own...turns out, not so much.

Well, the day of the race we drove to Calhan, CO and I think all of us were a bit nervous about what this race would look like. This was my first race ever and I had no idea what to expect. Before the race started we said a prayer together and then made our way to the starting line.


I think we all expected the race to be much harder than it actually was. The obstacles were pretty weak, and our team walked most of the trails. I'm not convinced our entire team understood we were supposed to be running the whole time, but that's fine. 

About one mile in, one of our team members said, "This is so great! How often do we have the chance to just talk without kids around?"

For team Muddy Buddies the race was obviously more about building relationships than it was about actually racing. If I hadn't already made the decision to do the half marathon I probably would have been upset that my weeks of training were for nothing, but because I had already started to train for a bigger goal, I could just enjoy the mud run and even the time we had to take a leisure walk without kids around.

Even though it took us nearly an hour to do a three mile race, the finish line still seemed like an accomplishment. 

I finished my first race...ever! Plus, it was a great feeling to accomplish something as a team, and as a church. We had quite the cheering section waiting for us at the finish line. That alone is reason to celebrate. 

After the race, we were given a complimentary cocktail. Any race where they give you a post-race mixed drink is a great race. 

Me and a few of my favorite team members following the race.

Team Muddy Buddies BEFORE the race... yes, the all black and matching headbands was planned.

Team Muddy Buddies AFTER the race...


By the time we left the race festivities it was nearly 2:00 and we were starving. So where do you go when you are desperate for food and covered in mud? Sonic, of course! 

Do you ever feel like everyone is staring at you? Well, imagine the attention you get when you get out of the car with six of your friends, all covered head to toe in mud and then sit down to eat. We made quite the scene. 

Fun times. Great memories. Dirty or clean, I'm blessed to have these women in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment