Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Oh Tebow

Sunday afternoon I played hooky at church and drove to Denver for the Broncos vs. Patriots game. To make a long story shorts, at work we have a technology vendor with a Broncos ticket hookup. A few months ago one of our reps found out I am a fan and asked if I wanted to go to a game. One thing led to the next and I ended up with tickets to the Broncos vs. Patriots game - the 6th row! 

For months I was anticipating this day and I had no idea back then that when game day finally arrived, Tebow would be starting, the Broncos would have a winning record and a shot at the playoffs, and this game in particular would be one of the biggest games in the country. So yes, what a blessing! 

Even though the outcome of the game was...umm...not the best, I feel like I could write 10 pages about that one day. However, for your benefit, I'll just hit the highlights.

Best Moment
This whole Tebow mania thing is new to my fellow Coloradans, but it's old hat for this Florida girl. Standing in a stadium chanting "TEBOW" with 75,000 fellow fans was like coming home. I had to remind myself I was in fact at Mile High Stadium and not the Swamp. Plus, it's nice to see that no matter what is happening in the media, Broncos fans are 100% behind this guy.  

Worst Moment
They lost - no 4th quarter comeback this week. Plus, it turns out this sad face is much harder to see in person than on TV.

Plus I had to go to work on Monday and deal with those sweet IT guys asking about fumbles and sacks. Thank goodness one of the guys who works in the mailroom is on my side. He said the Broncos lost because Tim was just too distracted by my presence. How sweet.

Best and Worst Moment Combo
The great news - my dream came true late in the 4th quarter. Tim started running straight toward me. The bad news - he needed to be running the other way and at fourth-and 17 at the Patriots' 37 yard line, Tim was driven back for a sack and a loss of 28 yards. At that moment the game was over.

Best Moments Of The Game That Have Nothing To Do With The Game
1) The halftime show - Ok, so keep in mind this was a big game and at a big game you can expect a big show. What was my halftime entertainment? Monkeys, riding dogs, herding sheep. I cannot make this up. 
Toward the end of this stunning display one of the monkeys riding a dog got away from their trainer and started circling the stadium along the wall, but thanks to all of the team water bottles, oxygen machines, (welcome to Colorado) and medical tables, no one could get to them. Finally the duo raced to the middle of the field and slowed down - but just long enough for the dog to pee right there in the middle of the field. 

If this wasn't pathetic enough, someone gave the ranch hand, trainer a microphone and he started his five minute speech about following your dreams. Him and Tim both lived out their dreams on that field on Sunday. There is just one difference - Tim's dream doesn't suck. 

I need to know who is currently employed by the Broncos to book this "talent." I have some suggestions. I mean seriously, Eric Decker's country music "star" of a girlfriend was somewhere in that stadium. I'm sure she would be willing to perform a song or two if it meant she didn't have to suffer through the monkey business (pun intended).

2) The Broncos cheerleaders brought some holiday cheer in their festive Santa outfits. The little boy in front of me kept referring to them as "Santa's helpers." Classic.

3) About half way through the first quarter we noticed a few people in bright yellow windbreakers and a guy in a bike helmet walk down the stadium steps and stop a few rows in front of us. Then they ushered everyone out of that particular row. At this point I was intrigued. I glanced over to the field to see how Tim was holding up and glanced back to the bike helmet guy to find him and 3 other people carrying a 300+ pound guy up the stairs. He was completely passed out drunk - and it's before noon. Half way up the stairs they dropped him - he didn't wake up. Don't worry though, there were plenty of people taking videos on their phones so I'm sure he can relive his drunken stupor over and over again thanks to YouTube.

The Burning Question
So my friend Megan also went to this game but had seats in a different section so I did not get to see her at all. However, she did stay long enough to watch the players leave and couldn't help but notice that a few of these players left with harems of women all of which were dressed for a day at the beach instead of a December afternoon in Colorado. Now I was at the game so I know for a fact these players were on the field the whole time. This leads to my question of the week - where on earth do these girls come from? How are these players picking up women during a game?

So there you have it, my top moments of the Broncos vs. Patriots. Obviously I wanted an Angles in the Outfield experience and some 4th quarter comeback magic, but I guess the lesson to be learned is that the Broncos would rather I support them from my living room then actually in the stadium.

Believe in Denver Broncos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment