Monday, January 16, 2012

Surpr15e!

On Friday a friend gave me the most amazing treasure. I still cannot believe I can count this as one of my possessions.

The story starts with a girl named Bailey Knaub. If you are a Broncos fan this name will sound familiar to you. Baily was invited by Tim Tebow and his foundation to attend the Broncos vs. Steelers game and spend some quality time with him before and after the game. If this story is not ringing a bell, I provided a video for your viewing pleasure. This is part of the post-game interview following the Broncos overtime playoff win against the Steelers.

Following this press conference, the media latched on to this story like white on rice. CBS wanted to do a story on Bailey and Tim's foundation so they invited the entire Knaub family to a Broncos practice complete with lunch at the facility and of course a little more hang out time with Tim. 

I guess you are starting to wonder what this has to do with me? Well, I don't know Bailey, but I do know her parents and brother. How? Well, Bailey's sister-in-law Natalie is a very good friend of mine. We work together and seeing as how we are on the very short list of females in the IT Department and are very close in age, it was a fast friendship. I've been to her house for a family BBQ (which is how I know the rest of the Knaub family). Remember this picture from a November blog post? 
Natalie and I ran the Turkey Trot together a few months ago. 

So now that we have the connection all squared away, back to the story...

Because the whole Knaub family was invited to the practice facility, Natalie and her husband Collin obviously jumped at the opportunity. I was excited for them. Not many people get opportunities like this and with all their family and Bailey have been through, they are more than deserving of this special memory. 



Although the Knaub's brainstormed every possibility of me tagging along to meet my man Tim, it just wasn't possible. Natalie did have an idea though. She told me that if it was at all possible, she would get me an autograph. The next day I brought her a football and explicitly explained that I thought the chances of the thing getting signed were a billion to one and that there was no pressure to make it happen. I wasn't going to be upset or disappointed if this didn't pan out as easily as Natalie thought it would. I also had a few questions for Natalie to pass along to Tim: #1 from my list of 10 Things I Would Ask Tim Tebow - Where does he keep the Heisman? 

Unfortunately Natalie was too embarrassed, and didn't ask Tim my #1 question so the mystery lives on - where does he keep that Heisman???

However, on an equally important note - the Knaub family had no Lindsey Vonn sightings both before, during and after the game or at practice the following week. 

Thanks for tracking with me through the bunny trails, now back to the story. The night after the Knaub's meet and greet with Tim, I talked to Natalie on the phone about her day. She asked if I had recently checked my Facebook and since I check the thing once a month at best, of course I had not logged in lately but quickly did so after I got every gory detail of the meeting. 

Natalie tagged be in this photo
The caption read, "Just for you Danielle - more Gatorade!!!"

When Natalie showed me the pictures from the first time Bailey met Tim, I went crazy when I noticed a closet full of Gatorade in the background. It was like looking into a pantry in heaven - wall to wall Gatorade! I was so thrilled Natalie and Collin took a photo just for me of an even BIGGER Gatorade closet! This made my day - until I saw the next picture...

Caption: Danielle, that's your ball he's signing!

As soon as I saw it I just started screaming! I didn't know what to do so I called my friend Megan. Only she could calm me down but at the same time allow me to be utterly beside myself for the appropriate amount of time. 

The next morning, Natalie introduced me to my football signed by my man!

My dad is really obsessed with finding the perfect case for it, but until then it's safely on my bookshelf. 


Don't worry, I'm not sleeping with it or anything crazy like that. The truth is much more pathetic - I sleep with Pupup, the stuffed animal I've slept with every nice since I was born. The last thing I need is Pupup getting jealous. :) 

And one more thing before I sign off - TODAY ELWAY NAMED TEBOW THE STARTING QB FOR THE 2012 SEASON!

1 comment: