Saturday, July 23, 2011

First Week is DONE, Son!

I did it! I'm honestly pretty surprised, but proud to say, I finished week one of my running plan. That means I've run three times in the past six days...and no one was chasing me any of the three times. Not impressive (even to me), but it's a start. Is it getting more fun? No! Is it getting easier, definitely no!

Right now my iPhone app has me running/walking in 1.5 minute intervals with a five minute warm up and a five minute cool down. By the way, I really need a name for the voice of my personal trainer on my app. After all, we spend at least an hour and a half together each week. Many weeks, that is more time than I spend with some of my closest friends. I am open to any suggestions. It's a man's voice, sounds like he is in his early-mid 30's, and he kind of has a deeper voice than most men I know.

So here are the highlights:
Day one a sweet old man who was working in his yard stopped working to tell me I was doing a great job as a passed his house. That is when I knew I looked like death was inches away.

Day two I started to explore some trails by my house. Seriously, if I have to torture myself like this, there is no better place to do it then on a dirt trail with a background of the Rocky Mountains. The only downer, did I mention the lack of oxygen? But for real, the scenery is unbeatable. Day two is when I started to get discouraged. I pulled up my run on my MapMyRun app to see how far I went...only 2.8 miles and that was with the warm up, cool down, and intervals of walking. I maybe ran 1/4 of that and was struggling at a few points. That is when I discovered that even if I ran the whole distance I covered that evening (and there is no way I could have), then I still would not have completed a 5k. Let's just say, I have some work to do.

Day three went well, but it started to rain at the end so my cool down ended up being the hardest part of my run. However, I did make it inside just before the real downpour started.

This week, while I was running, I thought back to my very first year of college. I had just started dating my very first boyfriend and he asked me to go running with him at some trails near my parent's house. I was so excited, until the actual running started. My mom said that is how she knew I really liked him. In fact, I think that was the very first time I did something to impress a boy. It didn't work for long because after a few runs, I don't remember how, but the cat got out of the bag that I genuinely detested running for the sake of running. Turns out, he still wanted to date me and we went back to playing basketball and going to workout classes together instead. At 19 my parents knew I liked a boy because I voluntarily went running. Here I am again, several years later, no boy, but same desire to impress.

No comments:

Post a Comment