Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pintrest Inspired: Flower Power Art

Thank you Pintrest for giving me inspiration and ideas for DIY art pieces for my house, particularly my living room. Almost a year after moving in, my living room walls are still pretty bare. It's just hard for me to find things that 1) match my decor 2) I like enough to hang in my house and 3) don't cost a billion dollars. Anyone else with me?

After the recent Pintrest inspired success of my mantel makeover, I was ready to tackle another "pinned" art project.

First was a trip to Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby for a few supplies.

Second was trip to the garage for another shelf that formerly belonged to my built-in bookshelf.
Next I painted it white. It took three coats to evenly cover the brown paint.
Before I started to add anything else to the front, I figured I should probably go ahead and add a sawhook to the back so that I could hang it when I was done.
Next up, gluing crayons to the bottom of the board. I used a hot glue gun and it worked really nicely.
Then it was time for the most risky part of the project. I had my doubts this would even work. The goal was to use a hairdryer to melt the crayons and then have the colored wax naturally drip down the length of the board to create a cool design (hopefully). 
To my amazement, after less than 2 minutes the wax started spilling down the board.
What I did not account for, was the fact that there is a little bit of a technique to it. Plus, wax splatters, a lot! If you are going to recreate this project yourself, I would strongly recommend that you melt the crayons outside or in the garage.

Anyone know how to get wax out of fabric? 
I couldn't figure out how to get it out either. 

So I just turned it around. Shh...don't tell.
good as new :)

After a little clean up from the out of control splatters and waiting a little bit for the wax to completely dry, it was time to glue flowers to some of the "stems" created by the wax drips. I bought three artificial flowers from Hobby Lobby, cut the stems off, and then used the glue gun to hold them in place.

I have to say I was pretty impressed when it was all said and done. 

The best part of this project: 
board - free
white paint - $2.47 (and I still have at least half of the bottle left over for future projects)
crayons - $2.37
flowers - 83 cents each (half off at Hobby Lobby - for real, if you learn one thing from my blog, please let it be this: DO NOT EVER pay full price for anything at Hobby Lobby!)

Cost of entire project = $7.33

No comments:

Post a Comment