Saturday, February 11, 2012

Proverbs 3

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.
Provers 3: 11-12

Sunday was my one week each month that I volunteer in the kid's ministry instead of going to the adult service - or "big church" for those fellow Southern Baptist folks. Each time I teach the kids it's an adventure. There was that one time I taught them about Joseph and the one time I taught them about Noah. This week, I got to teach them about Jonah - more specifically, the Lord's discipline as it relates to Jonah's life. It all seemed pretty easy and straightforward and the kids were really getting it. Games went over well and the kids seemed involved during the Bible study. 

Then it came time to teach the kids this week's verse. Throughout the month of February, our entire church (including the kids) are memorizing Proverbs 3:1-12. The kids are learning it two verses at a time. This week I was supposed to teach them verses 11-12. We taught the kids hand motions that correlate with the words of the verse. I had the kids repeat the whole thing after me the first few times. Then when I felt they were ready, I stayed quiet but did the motions to help jog their memories. 

motion #1
Kids: My son...

motion #2 
Kids: do not...

motion #3
Kids: despise...

motion #4
Kids: Tebow!

my reaction
my words: Oh my gosh! Are you saying that because I'm teaching you? Tebow is not in this verse!
one of my four year olds: But in the Bible?
me: No, Tebow isn't actually in the Bible.

Apparently when I did this...
my sweet kids thought of this...
and now they were substituting Tebow for the Lord's. Great. What parents is going to believe that I did not in fact teach them this? Although I realize it is probably positive reinforcement for questionable behavior, I quickly grabbed my phone to get a video of my kids and their scripture memory. I mean, can you really blame me? I have to admit, my heart welled up with pride as soon as my kids said Tebow's name.  


That night I received two texts from parents asking why their four year old wouldn't stop saying Tebow

Can you get kicked out of kid's ministry?

No comments:

Post a Comment